Thursday, June 2, 2016

Volker - Self-Titled (2016)

Featuring members of Otargos, Noein, Demented, Lifestream and Regarde Les Hommes Tomber, this cold wave/dark metal project is certainly worth checking out for the mere surprise of it all. Though it's just a sample, these eleven minutes offer something unlike anything we've heard from any of the previous bands these guys have been in. It's definitely metal, but with an angry feminine tinge to it that sounds like something from modern American female fronted metal. I'm reminded of a black metal version of Kittie by this, which will make a few of you want to rip your hair out, I'm sure. It definitely has that sort of angry pop/punk vibe that I shouldn't be recommending, but this reviewer thinks the disc is more of a “hey, this project actually exists and I wonder how far they'll get” than a “I think this is going to be the next big thing.”

Jen Nyx screams and sings and whimpers throughout the disc, making it sound like a weird mix of Christina Aguillera and Otep Shamaya. Ulrich W. plays Satyricon friendly modern black metal riffs, making for a weird mix that I could only consider a sort of black/pop/punk, if you can believe it. I'm not sure where such a band will go in the future, but if Kaotoxin is looking for more exposure in the mainstream metal scene, then this is definitely that goldmine band to do it. A lot of people wouldn't touch it with a ten-foot pole, but it's not terrible either. I'm actually curious to the final product, but this EP won't be for everyone.

(4 Tracks, 11:00)

6/10

No comments:

Post a Comment